St Peter, Hoveton
St Peter’s is a quaint little church, small in stature but full of rural charm. Unlike the many flint churches of the county, it is built from red brick and has a neatly thatched roof. Just inside the door is a stone drum font decorated simply with four pattée crosses.
The church was constructed in 1624 and later restored in 1884 by local Diocesan architect Herbert John Green. Training as a pupil under Sir Arthur Blomfield, Green was responsible for the restoration of several churches in the county and most notably for the design of the Grand Hotel in Sheringham.
On the walls are displayed a number of fine examples of 18th and 19th century hatchments. The hatchments are in commemoration of the Negus and Aufrere families who once occupied nearby Hoveton Hall. There is also lovely memorial to Mary Aufrere, the stone of which is carved to look like draped fabric. A cherub sits atop holding a coat of arms in one hand whilst grasping the corner of the material with another.
Whilst the churche’s interior may be considered plain in comparison to other churches in the area, there is, nonetheless, a definite peace in its atmosphere that was a delight to soak up.