St Michael, Eriskay
St Michaels sits upon a hill, overlooking the causeway that joins the small Isle of Eriskay to neighbouring South Uist. It was built in 1899 and replaced a much earlier structure previously erected on the site. It was constructed by the islanders themselves using local stone and timber salvaged from wrecks.
The church has a very unusual alter, formed from the bow of a lifeboat that was washed overboard from a nearby aircraft carrier. The altar sits in the curved east end where the ceiling is painted a rich blue and a scattered with gold stars.