Our Lady & Walstons, Costessey
At first glance, Our Lady & Walstan appears to be a rather austere building. Constructed in brick, its tall lancet windows sit between a row of side buttresses, and the east gable is adorned with a simple double bell-cote. The church’s interior is relatively simple too, but touches of rich blue throughout stop it becoming dour.
Opened in 1841, it was the work of architect, John Chessell Buckler, and was commissioned by the Jerningham family, for whom Buckler had previously remodeled their nearby residence of Costessey Hall. The church took several years to build and, during this time, Buckler also worked alongside fellow architect, Augustus Pugin, in the remodeling of Oxborough Hall and the construction of a chapel in its grounds.
Whilst the pews of the nave are overall pretty plain, the quality of their craftsmanship can be seen in the crisp carvings executed on each of their heads. In the chancel there are five stained glass lancet windows which are some of the earliest works of local artists, James & Joseph Grant.