St Andrew, Callander

Located in the bustling little town of Callander, St Andrew’s is a quaint church with a neatly trimmed yew archway that frames the south porch. It was built in 1857 by the resident stonemason at nearby Stronvar. But before there was a dedicated building, the Rev George Gleig would hold Episcopal services in the back room of the local shoe shop during his summer vacations to the town.

In 1886 the church was enlarged and the transepts were added creating the building’s distinctive cross layout. The steeply pitched scissor beam roof of the nave is surprisingly high in comparison to the impression you get from viewing the building from the outside. 

In 2005, after falling into disrepair, the church underwent much restoration and was temporally closed for six months whilst it was carried out.  The Organ, built by Abbott and Smith of Leeds, was also removed at this time and fully restored and serviced before being returned to the church.

1. St Andrew, Callander
2. St Andrew, Callander
3. St Andrew, Callander
4. St Andrew, Callander
5. St Andrew, Callander
6. St Andrew, Callander
7. St Andrew, Callander
8. St Andrew, Callander
9. St Andrew, Callander
10. St Andrew, Callander
11. St Andrew, Callander
12. St Andrew, Callander
13. St Andrew, Callander
14. St Andrew, Callander
15. St Andrew, Callander
16. St Andrew, Callander
17. St Andrew, Callander